Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A Leading Lady In My History Part 2


As I continue this segment, I'd like to introduce you to another Leading Lady, the late Mrs. Leary M. Davis. I can tell you now that much can be said, but I will speak from the position of granddaughter. You see, when I entered the world, she took one look at me and knew I was "a Davis" (my family name). My grandmother was an incredible Woman. Some of the things I remember about her is that she was raising my father (also deceased) and 10 other children single-handedly. She and my other grandmother were raising large families alone and pulling the wieght of father and mother (they showed me it could be done without the help of a sugar-daddy!). They became fast friends, and their children did too. That's where I come in. My father and mother never married each other. I am the sum total of their brief and passionate relationship. I'm glad they didn't abort me to "get on with their lives". There was much controversy (for another article) around me at the time because of it (my Dad was 16, my Mom 22).

In spite of the way I entered the world (without the covering of marriage), my grandmother loved me to pieces. And I felt it. She took me under her wing, and cherished me. To me, she was home. When I think of her hugs now, I recall sweet potato pie. She was the essence of what goodness in the world can be. I loved doing her chores (though I could not cook a lick!) because her home was a home of peace. People were always coming to Mrs. Aunt Tot's house to stop by, drop off a gift, or just sit at her feet and listen. Her home was the meeting place for wisdom. People spent their vacations coming to visit her and just talk. Truly God had crowned her with wisdom. I remember right before I got married, both of my grandmothers and my mother were all together. I asked them for advice. I tape recorded it. I still have that tape. It is gold to me. I still own a tape recorder for that very reason: to replay it.
 Leary Mae Davis
A True Leading Lady
      
My grandmother taught me if you have nothing nice to say, pray Lord, help me to have a kind word even if they are doing bad things. My grandmother always joked that for her to be on a fixed income, she always had more to give than those who were not. She always spoke to me about saving and not spending money on things that soon fade. When she passed away, her debts were paid and she left something for her children and their children. She also left a legacy of unconditional love. I know I don't just speak for myself when I say I don't think  I will find anyone who loved so strongly and forgave so easily. No, she was not perfect, but she was as close to heaven as many had ever experienced. I plan to pass on the wisdom I gained at her feet to the next generation. Though she is now at rest, her voice lives on in me and everyone who knew her. Love You forever Gram Tot.
Gram Page & Gram Tot
Lifelong Friends


They are the inspiration for the Grandmothers in my novel series Church Love. 
Check that out at www.churchlove333.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment